Welcome to Paris to The International Liver CongressTM 2018 (ILC 2018), the 53rd annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL), the Home of Hepatology!
We are delighted to invite you to join the international liver community at the Paris expo Porte de Versailles – Pavillon 7, 1 Place de la Porte de Versailles, Paris, from 11 to 15 April 2018.
Hepatology is undergoing exciting changes – with highly effective drugs to cure hepatitis C, a dramatic increase of metabolic liver diseases and liver cancer worldwide, and a plethora of novel innovative treatment concepts from prevention, intervention to liver transplantation. It is our great pleasure and honour to welcome you to ILC 2018, where we bring together clinicians, scientists and hepatology associates from all around the world to discuss latest advances at the frontline of hepatology. Despite all forms of digital communication, ILC 2018 provides a unique opportunity to discuss clinical innovation and research challenges but also to interact socially, network and develop future collaborations.
The 2018 ILC highlights comprise:
- A Postgraduate course on ‘Viral hepatitis’
- State of the art lectures on “Is it time to abandon the diagnosis of cirrhosis?” and “Switching from homeostasis to disease: new therapeutic drug targets?”
- Basic science seminar on “Targetable pathways in liver disease”
- For the first time, a comprehensive transplant and surgery postgraduate course
- Over 1,500 original scientific projects presented – from almost 3,000 submitted abstracts
- Many interactive sessions: morning rounds, grand rounds, meet-the-expert workshops, a comprehensive skills-learning track and more
- EASL Clinical Practice Guidelines updates
- Collaborative sessions with multiple societies
- Complete tracks within all major topics of hepatology will keep you busy at all times – regardless of your interest
- Public health and global hepatology is now comprehensively covered
- Young investigator involvement
- Selected sessions and posters will be webcast and made available on the LiverTreeTM for EASL members to view. Don’t forget to renew your EASL membership before 31stDecember 2017 to benefit from all educational platforms and services on offer.
Whether you are a young investigator, clinician, basic scientist, nurse, or a researcher, you will be exposed to the latest data in your specialty, and can broaden your horizons in hepatology at ILC 2018. Take part in an exciting week of liver discoveries and exchange.
If you wish to share your data at ILC 2018, submit your research now!
Looking forward to seeing you in Paris.
Tom Hemming Karlsen
EASL Secretary General
Dear colleagues, visitors and friends,
it was a complete surprise when I received a letter from the EASL Governing Board asking to become Honorary President 2018. Not at all convinced that I deserve this honour, I nevertheless accepted with a small degree of vanity, but mostly with gratitude for those who helped me on my journey through medicine, especially through hepatology, and to those who introduced me to EASL – almost forty years ago.
So welcome to ILC, Paris and EASL, welcome to IPE!
Alas, another acronym! I offer you several further solutions (you may also find one of your own):
With respect to our congress:
– Ingredients of hepatology
– Performance of world experts
– Efforts of young colleagues
With respect to the venue:
– Île de la Cité
With respect to science:
– Irresistible challenge
– Puzzle of nature
– Errors to detect
With respect to medicine:
– Invest in patients!
– Persist in learning!
– Earn the confidence!
Enjoy working on liver diseases! Enjoy science and culture! Enjoy each other! Enjoy the congress!
Tilman Sauerbruch, M.D.
Honorary President of The International Liver CongressTM 2018 and Emeritus Professor, University of Bonn